Code Enforcement Process

Possible Complaint Resolutions

Speak with Your Neighbor

Many people are not exactly sure what to do when they have a complaint regarding a possible violation. If you are comfortable, you may talk with your neighbor or property owner. Politely explain the situation and ask for their cooperation in resolving the problem. Many times people appreciate their neighbors contacting them rather than a Code Enforcement Officer, and will correct the problem. Use your own best judgement when dealing with your neighbors, and never interact with someone when either party is angry or out of control. 

Contact Code Enforcement

If your "good neighbor" effort fails, call us. We will discuss the situation and will explain what steps we will have to take in order to have the violation corrected. When you call, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • The specific type of complaint or nuisance
  • Your name, address and telephone number. This information is confidential and is especially important if you leave a message and we need to contact you for more information or clarification regarding your complaint.
  • Provide the location of the violation; including the house number and street name. If there is no address, then provide as much information regarding the location.
  • Provide a brief description of the violation / complaint.
    • Vehicle complaints - provide license number, make, model and color. Location of vehicle (whether it is located on private property or on the street).
    • Sanitation complaints - provide a brief description of the type of debris. Example could be - building materials, old tires, furniture and location where these items are stored on the property.
    • On-going activity complaints - provide a description of the activity, when it occurs, and the time it occurs.

The City of Cibolo Code Enforcement Department makes regular inspections throughout the City to identify potential violations.

After an Investigation

If after an investigation, the Code Enforcement Officer finds that a violation has occurred or exists, further action will be taken to resolve the violation. This typically begins with the property owner receiving a written notice of the violation with a 5 to 30 days to correct the violation depending on the type of violation. City Staff will re-inspect the property to confirm resolution. More often than not, violations are caused by lack of knowledge about codes and are easily resolved. 

Property owners will have the opportunity to discuss the violation and work in cooperation with Code Enforcement to correct the problem. If voluntary cooperation is not obtained, the Code Enforcement Officer can take the necessary steps to initiate prosecution of the violation through the legal system.

If the violation is not resolved, then the property owner will receive an additional notice informing them that the violation will be abated or the owner will receive a citation. With an abatement, the property owner will pay the cost of correcting the violation. If a citation is issued, the property owner must appear before Municipal Court, which may levy penalties.

Every effort will be made by the Code Enforcement Officer to utilize diplomacy, tact and friendly persuasion to gain cooperation in Enforcement with City codes when a violation is found. A citation will be issued only after these have failed to alleviate the task at hand.

If each of us first consider the effect that our own actions may have on a property and people surrounding us, the ideal of achieving better cooperation and Enforcement will be off to a good start.