Operation Identification (Operation ID) is a nationally recognized burglary prevention program in which citizens make an inventory of their property and permanently mark their valuables with an identification number, preferably a Texas Driver's License or ID number. This program has existed for over 30 years. In communities where it has been properly implemented, Operation Identification has shown dramatic results in its ability to reduce burglaries. There are three important steps required to participate in the Operation ID program.
- Create a list of your property and important identifying characteristics.
- Property is marked with an engraver using your state issued driver's license number.
- Operation ID decals are place on your doors and windows only after you have created an inventory and marked your property.
This program is designed to:
- Discourage the activities of burglars and thieves by marking your possessions and placing decals on your windows.
- Aid in the return of lost or stolen property to the owner.
- Discourage burglars from fencing stolen property.
- Assist in apprehending and convicting criminals caught with marked property.
- Prepare an inventory listing of all of your valuable property, including serial numbers, brand, make, model number, purchase price, and location of engraving. Inventory form is provided by the Cibolo Police Department. Keep this information in a safe place - preferably both online and hard copy.
- Mark the property with the engraver on a permanent, non-removable part, in a place that can be seen without dismantling the object. Mark the letters "TXDL" and your Texas driver's license or ID number on the object. Example: TX-B1234567 Avoid using your social security number.
- Once you have completed the above you will be issued a decal.
- Place your operation ID decal in a prominent place on your front door or a window.
- Photograph or videotape your property. This and your inventory could help insurance claims after a burglary, fire, or flood.
- As you acquire new property be sure to mark it and update your inventory list.
If you relinquish the property to another after marking it with your number, do not remove your number. The new owner should add their number next to yours.
An alternative to recording property information on a paper is to use the online resource of Leads Online. This website is an online investigative system used by law enforcement to recover stolen property and solve crimes. Leads Online provides a free Citizen Property Inventory System. Citizens can use this system to record property information. You can log your property at - Report It Citizen Property Inventory System.